My name is Elder Kyle Rasmussen. I'm a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The message of the Church is one of joy and happiness. This message has given me this great joy and happiness in my life and now I want to share that same joy with everyone else. I know it can bless everyone's life and that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The 7 Rules of Life - A New Perspective

I give so much thanks to a kind Sister from the Niagara Falls Ward for the inspiration behind this next post.  She and her husband came down to our ward in Lancaster about 2 months ago or so and both gave amazing talks in our Sacrament meeting.  But this Sister's talk really was amazing!!  One of the things she shared was this, 7 Rules of Life.  I don't know where it came from or who created these, but for the last few months, they've really blessed my life.  I have a copy of these rules on my desk where I see them every day as I study.  As I'm been doing my studies in the scriptures, I've looked at these rules many times and each time I see more and more how applicable these are to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

1)  Make Peace with your past so it won't screw up the present:  The Lord has always expected us to forgive each other.  In D&C 64:9-10, it says "Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin."  The Lord also states in D&C 58:42 "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more."  We all make mistakes in this life.  some harm others, some harm us.  Sometimes other people's mistakes cause us harm.  Whatever the harm done is, we can be forgiven, we can forgive, and through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can make peace with our past and move gracefully on into our present and future without interruption.

2) What others think of you is none of your business:  So true!!  We get caught up so much about what we think what other may think about us.  Does it really matter?  Who is the only one qualified to judge us?  That would be the Savior Jesus Christ because He's been through it all.  D&C 137:9 says "For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works of their hearts."  I myself stress get so stressed out about what others may think of me in terms of my appearance  mannerisms, personality, or anything I say.  But it really doesn't matter, we have no business poking around in that state of mind.  You are who you are and you are loved by Him who created you and Him who is our Father.

3) Time heals almost everything, give it time: I came across this quote from President Thomas S. Monson on page 120 of Preach My Gospel.  It says "Life is full of difficulties, some minor and others of a more serious nature. There seems to be an unending supply of challenges for one and all. Our problem is that we often expect instantaneous solutions to such
challenges, forgetting that frequently the heavenly virtue of patience is required."  Sometimes we are required to wait before we can receive the necessary aide from Heaven.  I find this scripture a big help for times like this.  Psalms 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God:"  If somebody has wronged us and we can't forgive immediately  give it time and with the Lord's help, you'll get there.  Never forget to wait for some things.

4) Don't compare you life with others and don't judge them.  You have no idea what their journey is all about:  This kind of goes back to rule 2 about judging.  Remember, the Lord states in Matthew 7:3-5 "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?  Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?  Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye."  We each have our own unique challenges, obstacles, strengths and weaknesses.  We are all God's Children though, and we are all trying to reach the same place.  Give yourself and others some slack, "Do your best and forget the rest." - P90X

5 ) Stop thinking so much, it's alright not to know the answers.  They will come when you least expect it:  Most of us are used to the instant answer, google it type society where we get answers to our questions almost instantly.  And when we don't get an answer as quickly as we would like, we freak out and get very stressed, anxious, sometimes even angry and frustrated.  But we have to remember, our thoughts are God's thoughts, nor are our ways His ways (Isaiah 55:8)  And sometimes He wants us to wait before we receive an answer.  It took me 3 to 4 months before I got an answer from God as to which Univesrity I should attend.  It took Brigham Young 2 years before he came to know by the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon was true.  Be patient, keep studying it out, and be ready for when answers come because they will.  No stressing :)

6) No one is in charge of your happiness except you:  There is one scripture about our life on earth that really gives me comfort.  It's 2 Nephi 2:25 " Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."  You see, God's whole purpose for us being here is to be happy!!  The Savior didn't have a very easy life during his mortal ministry, but I bet He was a pretty happy and joyful guy to be around.  You decide if you are happy, not your external circumstances.  If you need help being happy, turn to Him who can lead you too that of happiness and fulfillment.

7) Smile :)  You don't own all the problems in the world:  Simple, yet effective.  Simply smile, it'll make others feel happier and it will trigger your brain into a happier state of mind.  In my opinion (and this is strictly my opinion) clean, wholesome humor is an amazing tool to get smiling and living a more abundant and fulfilled life.

Just remember, He is the one who can help us live a better life.  These 7 Rules aren't there to replace Him in anyway shape or form.  They are here to help us draw closer to Him.  They are to help us apply His Atonement more in our life.  They are in a way, His tips for comfort and counsel in this life.  I love Him with all my heart and strive to do my best to serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment